Timeline of the 1st Battle of Bud Dajo - 1906 (continued)

March 7

    At first light, White tears a hole through the abattis and sends the Constabulary, one by one, through intense fire in a scramble up the steep slope to a place of cover just below the walls of a large, heavily defended cotta blocking the trail. Companies M and then K of the 6th Infantry quickly follow. White is badly wounded in an attempt to scale the cotta wall and Captains Schindel and Koehler of the 6th Infantry take charge just as the Tausug defenders, led by Adam, pour over the top of the cotta in a fierce counterattack. The two sides are only yards apart, and the combat is often hand-to-hand. In the space of ten-fifteen furious minutes, all 150 of the charging Tausugs are killed and one out of every three men on the American side are casualties. The remainder crawl up the last 100 yards of the last steep slope to capture the South summit amidst only desultory resistance. But, gazing across the crater towards the East summit, Lawton's men are nowhere to be found. Unknown to Bundy, or for that matter Duncan, Lawton never received the order for the assault. Communicated back down the hill, messengers with  new orders are sent out to Lawton to launch an immediate assault from hi side.

    Three hours later two companies of infantry (from the 19th  and 6th Infantries) and two machinegun squads of Navy sailors have made it to just 20 yards below the crater rim on the daunting East trail. Under the command of Captain A.M. Wetherill, the men fan out in a line, although many must cling to jungle vines to keep from falling off the steep incline. Sharpshooters are posted to keep the Moros away from the crater edge, where they could easily fire straight down on the Americans, while the soldiers wait for Captain Lawton to come up. 400 Tausugs, led by Imam Harib, are crammed shoulder-to-shoulder into two large, deep trenches, many expecting this to be their final day wear their best finery. Captain Lawton comes up and at the sound of a bugle, 110 infantrymen and the machine guns charge over the crater rim to find themselves only 20-30 feet away from the two trenches. Both sides blast away at one another, but the firepower advantage is clearly on the American side, particularly as the two Colt machineguns are set up and come into play. As many as 10,000 .30 caliber bullets slam into the trenches at point blank range, in such volume as to tear bodies apart. In ten minutes, it is all over and no one in the trenches is left alive.  After an hour of mopping up and as night falls, only about 100 Tausug defenders are left alive, surrounded and inside a lone cotta at the top of the West trail, the highest point on the mountain. The Americans bivouac in the blackness of the night and swirling mists while the Tausugs nervously await the dawn.